Monday, August 20, 2012

from stories of the traveler

J. J. Winckelmann is a secondary character in my historical fiction A Handful of Blossoms.
On the way to Rome, he is on a visit to Constantine-Leopold, Prince of Askanier-Hortz, who is Consort of my main character Constance-Otilia-Alexandrine, Princess of Anhalt-Welf, whose Diary the reader has a chance to read. After the supper party, in the Castle, the group of table-mates began story telling. One of two stories told by Mr Winckelmann.
Not fond of the 18 century, unlike many fine art lovers, I used the 18 century as setting for my story solely in order to use the image of Mr Winckelmann and, accordingly and necessarily, to mention the name of Antinous.

Read more at :
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/168036

The storytelling at the party, in my novella, is not like that in “The Decameron”, by Boccaccio, since it’s not a time of the Black Death outside, around the Castle, and nothing frivolous or playful is in the tales told by the table-mates. The story tellers are two: Prince Constantine and his guest Mr Winckelmann. It’s like a contest, but whose heart the contestant would like to win? My heroine Constance-Otilia knows that not hers. Rather Sylvian’s. Sylvian is Constantine’s nephew and one of two listeners. She is the first to leave the party, and it remains unknown to her how the party ends, and even I, the Author, don’t know. I merely can say that it could end anyhow, from the storytelling getting more and more sublime to an orgy.
Constance-Otilia is going on 17; her relatives call her “Tilia” which is one of names of the lime-tree. The lime-tree I regard as my weird tree because it is abloom at the time of summer when my birthday approaches; thus, giving her the name of Wilde’s wife, I never forget of myself, though. Tilia is not my second-self, and yet I give her my features, which is perfectly natural too, in my view. And so, the young thing learns the world. While living at her Consort’s (if the life of the two could be called “family”) she makes her choice, meanwhile, at leisure, falling in love with her husband, first. Not for long. There are a lot of handsome gentlemen her husband’s precinct. After the disappointment in her husband, which happens at the supper party, mentioned above, she dreams of men, as usual. But the love story is not over. One mysterious and dangerous stranger comes in the life of the Castle.
The mental work going on; at leisure, between the events and adventures, she can’t come to a decision about the only man whom her heart took to -- but what more interesting is that all the 3 handsome men, among who she seeks to make her choice, are equally indifferent to her which circumstance cannot stop her young imagination, and in the end of the book, she makes her choice.

The manuscript of her Diary ends with the man’s name, and the reader cannot know whether the choice is fatal to her or not, but I, as the Author, can say that it’s fatal.
After a certain dangerous adventure, she begins feeling dubious about her own virginity, and she remains uncertain about it till the books’ end, but I can say that her doubt is unfounded and she is virgin till the book’s end. No wonder, for the men are indifferent to her.

It must be said, by the way, that as a reader, I always hated reading fiction in the form of a diary, unless it’s non-fiction or a diary is a part of a novel like the tremendous narration of “The Moonstone” (1868) by Wilkie Collins. As an author, I find the genre is nice.

read the first reviews for my 6th book of fiction A Handful of Blossoms--
at Elisa Rolle Reviews
http://elisa-rolle.livejournal.com/1687622.html
at Sam Kasbrick's Reviews
http://sikbookreviews.blogspot.ca/2012/08/review-handful-of-blossoms.html








No comments: